I don’t get to see a lot of movies. Theater trips have traditionally been limited to Harry Potter and Marvel movies and, while I’ll buy movies on Blu-ray or iTunes, it’s often quite some time before I/we actually watch them. So, I watched the following movies in 2013, but they weren’t necessarily released in 2013.
My three least favorite movies of 2013:
3. Dredd — I was expecting a reboot of Judge Dredd, which I should probably be embarrassed to admit is a movie I really loved back in the day. “I am the law.” Anyway, I don’t know WTF this was, but I turned it off fifteen minutes in and won’t ever turn it back on. It was pretty horrific.
2. District 9 — Logically, I was aware this movie was inspired by Apartheid and was making a statement about humanity and society. I fear, on a subconscious level, I was still expecting an alien action movie (Independence Day!) and it didn’t work for me.
1. Bridesmaids — Besides the fact the “heroine” was a horrible, whiny person I hated and personally didn’t want to see have any kind of happy ending, I don’t care for bodily function humor. You can see how this movie just made me cringe.
Okay, on to the good stuff…
My three most favorite movies of 2013:
3. Tie— Thor: The Dark World and Pacific Rim — I love action movies. A lot. And I really love action movies with humor. Thor 2 had action, humor AND Loki. Hello. And Pacific Rim surprised me. My expectation was low, but it really drew me in. And throw in a smart, tough female character who wasn’t in the movie solely to provide an opportunity for the male character to have tepid, fade-to-black sex, and I was a happy movie-watcher.
2. Frozen — I just saw this on Monday afternoon with my sisters. If it hadn’t been the last showing of the day, I might have gone around and bought tickets to see it again. The songs were gorgeous (and sometimes choke-on-your-soda funny) and there was much hilarity. The “hero” was my kind of working-class guy and I loved him. Sven and Olaf had me snort-laughing, but luckily so was everybody else in the theater. And I’m not going to spoil it, but the “message” was the best I’ve ever seen from Disney. I’ll be buying on Blu-ray release day (and probably for my iPad, too).
1. The Heat — I was torn between this and Frozen having the number one spot, but Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy won by a hair. The first time I watched it (and I have the unrated version), I had to keep pausing it because I was laughing so hard, I couldn’t keep up with the dialogue. Sandra Bullock does that straight-laced FBI agent so well, and Melissa McCarthy is just flat-out my idol now. I adored her. I also loved that this movie made me laugh so hard I almost peed myself through the entire thing and then BAM, messy emotional tears at the end. (The language is outrageous, just as a warning.)
Do you have a favorite or least favorite movie of 2013?
I really enjoyed Frozen, too. I ordered the CD (yes I am old school).
I think my favorite film of the year was Philomena. It has a lot of angst, but also a lot of humor. And Judi Dench is just such a wonderful actress.
Honorable mention goes to Saving Mr. Banks. Emma Thompson is another wonderful actress and she gives a very nuanced performance.
It’s not our usual kind of movie, but my husband and I both think Saving Mr. Banks looks really good. We’ll wait for DVD, but it did catch our attention.
Happy New Year!!!!
I had to grin at the fact that Melissa McCarthy is at the #1 spots on both of your movies lists: zenith & nadir positions!
Did you catch the irony as well?
I’ve checked out Frozen online, and I agree that it looks like a keeper, so I appreciate your endorsement of it to help me to decide to see it!
I’m with you on Pacific Rim. I had low expectations, then bought it on Blu-Ray for myself and my stepdad! I also really loved White House Down, Perks of Being a Wallflower, World War Z and Man of Steel.
I didn’t make the connection that Melissa McCarthy was in both #1 spots. That’s funny!
And World War Z wasn’t bad. We watched that during Christmas break. I haven’t seen White House Down yet. I might have to give it a look.