Not looking good for my little guy and the New Hampshire Geographic Bee. Because Mother Nature does love her April Fools jokes, we’re getting a nor’easter tomorrow. Six to twelve inches of heavy, wet snow.
The drive to the college where they’re holding the event is long even when the weather’s fair, and only about half of it’s highway miles. And we got an email from the coordinator letting us know the show will go on, with as many kids as can make it. The bees are held on the same day throughout the country and can not be changed.
So now it’s up to us and we can’t say one way or the other until tomorrow actually comes. We’ve tried to explain to him that we can’t risk his life for a geography bee, but he’s ten. Daddy has four-wheel-drive. Daddy drives in the snow all the time. He just doesn’t understand. So now, if we wake up and my husband says it’s too risky, our son’s going to be devastated. Beyond devastated. And, unfortunately, it’s all on us.
Right now we’re hoping it won’t be too bad and we can leave early in the morning, leaving us about four hours to make an hour and a half drive. But there’s a good chance I’m going to have my arms full of disappointed, sobbing ten year old boy tomorrow. Dammit.