1. Wareham, Massachusetts: A milestone? Umm…birth.
2. Witchita Falls, Texas: My uncle threw me into the deep end of the pool to “teach” me to swim, turning a mild fear of water into terror.
3. A couple of towns outside Langley AFB, Virginia: My sister was born and I was attacked by an insane, vicious goose. (Different days)
4. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: We stayed with my former step-grandparents while awaiting our passports, and I got my first inkling I’m not a city girl.
5. Bicester and RAF Upper Heyford, England: My brother was born. It was from the base bookstore that I bought my first Little House on the Prairie book. I fell in love with Buck Rogers. Also had my spelling screwed up for life.
6. A brief stay in Lynn, Massachusetts while waiting to report to the next base: My uncle driving us through rush-hour traffic in Boston at a gazillion miles per hour. I still have flashbacks.
7. Plattsburgh AFB and Peru, New York: First kiss. Kneed a boy in his insignificant little family jewels for the first time. (Different boys, separate incidents) Got my first C in school. It was for science, and his name was Mr. Williams. Not that I hold a grudge or anything.
8. Centreville, Massachusetts: Tried my first cigarette. Dumbass.
9. Several New Hampshire towns, but primarily Pittsfield: Many milestones here. Good ones, too, mostly. Some a little hazy due to copious amounts of alcohol.
10. Pittsfield, Maine: Leaving was a good milestone
11. Grovespring, Missouri: Graduated from high school. Milked a cow. Listened to people who say “dubya” and “PEE-can” tell me I talk funny. Milked more cows.
12. St. Albans, Maine: Hmm….there was….no….umm….
13. Back to New Hampshire: I’m HOME! All the best milestones happened here—marriage, two babies, seeing my name on the cover of a book. Setting my stepmother’s Easter bouquet on fire. Stuff like that.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. Itâ€™s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants