1. I hate gel toothpaste. My mother always said “When you grow up and have your own house, you can buy paste”, and I do. The last day I lived at home was the last day I used gel.
2. I have a birthmark everybody thinks is a hickie. It’s a grouping of…18 (?) freckles kind of under my jaw where it meets my neck.
3. I’ve worn glasses since I was six and have never had any desire for contacts or that new corrective surgery. (So, I’m 34. Your eyes change. Would I have to have surgery again in 10-15 years?)
4. I love asparagus, spinach, broccolli (even if I can’t spell it) and brussel sprouts. Not as much as I love Doritos, but I do love me some greens now and again. Not fiddleheads, though. My mother and the person to whom she was married at the time used to make us eat those when we lived in Maine and they’re nasty.
5. I bit my nails horribly until I was 20. Why did I quit then? That’s when I got my shiny engagement ring and I was too embarrassed by my nails to show it off. (The theory was put forth to me that the underlying issues which caused this habit were cured by finding somebody willing to sticky by me for better or worse, but honestly, I just wanted to show off the bling.)
6. I call the television remote control a “flipper”. My husband makes fun of me, but I think my dad calls it that. When all else fails, blame a parent.
7. I’ve cut back from 4 large Dunkin Donuts iced coffees (cream only) per day to 2. I’m supplementing with a new addiction to mandarin orange seltzer water.
8. I hate tulips. I mean, seriously hate them. But when I try to dig them up, I end up splitting the bulb things and even more grow back. They’re evil and they’re multiplying and I want them all to die.
9. The song currently rocking my world: “Starts with Goodbye” by Carrie Underwood.
10. My first submission was a partial to Leslie Wainger for…I think it was the “Yours, Truly” line? They had a line where the meet came through written communication. Looking back, it was not only amateurish work, but there was no conflict. None. There was no reason this couple couldn’t have lived HEA from page one. She sent me a rejection letter with two paragraphs detailing some of the problems, and I must have read it a gazillion times. That was probably…11 or 12 years ago? I don’t remember now.
11. Actually, I’m not sure if that was my first sub. It was around that time I sent some queries out for my 100+k time travel in which the heroine traveled back to the American Civil War. Yeah, umm…time travel and Civil War. You can imagine how the phone lines jammed with editors trying to call me. (I still love the title though, which I won’t share and will use someday.)
12. I was born in Wareham, Mass—hometown of Geena Davis. I aggravate my husband by every time she’s mentioned/seen, saying “Hey, my dad went to school with her.” The promotional build-up to “Commander in Chief” was an especially annoying time.
13. My mother and I spent a brief time living in Texas when I was young—I remember having my fifth birthday there. My husband also spent a year or so living there when he left the Marine Corps—he was 22. The Blizzard of ’78 was mentioned tonight and we were talking about how he inadvertently timed his return home to NH so that he drove through the blizzard. The dates tumbled into place in my head. My husband and I—neither of whom are from Texas, spent much time there, nor have ever been back—were both living in Texas in 1977. That’s kinda freaky cool, huh? (Also in the freaky department, the 17-year age difference sounds so much worse when he was twenty-two and I was five. Fifty-one and thirty-four just doesn’t seem so…weird.)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. Itâ€™s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants