What to blog about today…
Over the last few months I’ve seen a lot of opinions about blogs. Authors don’t do enough promo or talking about their work. Authors do too much promo and come off as a commercial for their books. Authors are too snarky. Authors aren’t snarky enough. Opiniated authors are too focused on current event issues. Shallow authors don’t focus on current event issues. And cliques are a problem.
What’s a blogger to do?
I have no idea about the clique thing. I think, like most bloggers, I have a circle of friends that predates blogging and even publication, so we tend to be around for each other. But I go to lots of different blogs and lots of people have come here, so I don’t know if I’m part of a clique or not. But I do think that large groups of people will slowly settle into smaller groups in order to socialize. I think it’s a bigger problem on yahoogroups than blogs, but that’s just my experience.
As for what to blog about…
My very, very unscientific method of comparing stats with entries let’s me say that people who come to my blog:
* Prefer funny, dumbass Shannon to deep, contemplative Shannon.
* Prefer to read about my conversations with invisible characters than about my thoughts on craft or industry.
* Are big fans of the Smart Bitches
* Prefer funny to ranty by a small margin. (Can you sense the pressure to do a really funny rant? *g*) Nothing kills funny faster than trying to be funny.
What does this tell me?
1. Doing a hilarious, pissy rant about the Smart Bitches would give great traffic. :lmao:
2. I’ve just gotta be me.
I do need to do up a page about my contest though, before the Goddess of Promo slaps me upside the head.